The garden at Broughton Castle
Please click on the images to view the photographs
The walled garden on the south side of the castle, known as the Ladies' Garden was established in the 1880s on the site of the 16th century kitchens.
The fleur de lys beds are planted with 'Rose Heritage' and Rose 'Gruss an Aachen'. The hedge against the castle is of Rose 'Felicia'. The other beds contain many old roses and herbaceous plants, together with shrubs such as philadelphus and deutzia. The tree in the Ladies' garden is crataegus laevigata.
On the west side of the Ladies' garden wall is a mixed border, with pink the predominant colour. The roses in this border include 'Fantin-Latour', 'Fritz Nobis', 'Frau Dagmar Hastrup', 'Margaret Hilling', and climbing roses 'Albertine' and 'Purity'.
The rose over the arch, looking through into the ladies garden is R. 'Goldfinch'.
The border nearer the gatehouse has a blue yellow and grey theme and includes roses 'Maigold', 'Golden Wings' and 'Windrush', together with berberis, potentillas, hypericum and campanulas.
The existing planting is based on advice given by Lanning Roper in 1970, the work being carried out by the then gardener Bert Dancer. In the 1980s, the planting was developed by Randal Anderson, like Lanning Roper also of American origin. The garden is now maintained and developed by one gardener , Chris Hopkins, working on his own.
See the article reprinted from the Daily Telegraph Saturday magazine of July 31st 2004 in our Archive section for more on the garden. Many of the photographs shown here by Andrew Lawson originally accompanied that article.
Text from the Broughton Castle Guidebook. Photographs © Andrew Lawson, Martin Fiennes
and P Fiennes
http://broughtoncastle.com. Text copyright © Martin Fiennes. All rights reserved. Design by MediaGrafika.net. With many thanks to contributing photographers. For information about photographs copyright © Andrew Lawson please contact Andrew Lawson Photography at www.andrewlawson.com +44 1608 810 654 .