The Ladies’ Garden was created in the 1890’s by Lady Algernon Gordon-Lennox when she lived at Broughton. In the foreground from left, R. ‘Sanders White’, R. ‘Bonica’, R. ‘Felicia’ and Salvia turkestanica.
From left, Penstemon ‘Garnet’, Allium christophii, Sisyrinchium striatum.
A view across the south border towards the Park, from left to right, Geranium himalayense ‘Gravetye’, R. ‘Mme Hardy’ and Phlomis russeliana. Above the arch into the Ladies’ Garden on the right is R. ‘Goldfinch’
The south border, looking east. The arch was probably part of the original entrance to the Castle in the 14th century when a bridge went across that corner of the moat. The border here includes, from left, Rosa rubrifolia, Crambe cordifolia, Campanula persicifolia, Phlomis fruiticosa, Geranium ‘Nimbus’.
The arch into the Ladies’ Garden from the west border. Above the arch is R. ‘May Queen’, through the arch is R. ‘Felicia’.
R. ‘Maigold’ early flowering (May).
From left, Allium christophii, Verbascum chaixii.
Sprawling along the garden wall by the west lawn, with the gatehouse and church behind – R. ‘Paul’s Himalayan Musk’
In the Ladies’ Garden, a mixed border including R. ‘Alberic Barbier’ (on the wall), R ‘Felicia’, Delphinium Pacific hybrids and Lychnis coronaria oculata.
In the Ladies’ Garden – the roses in the box fleur de lys beds are R. ‘Gruss an Aachen’ and R. ‘Lavender Lassie’.
Mixed border along the east wall in the Ladies’ Garden, including R. ‘Wenlock’, Nepeta, Sisyrinchium striatum ‘Aunt May’, Digitalis grandiflora, and Delphinium Pacific hybrids.