The chapel, approached by a straight stone staircase from the groined passage, is a rare example of a fourteenth century private chapel. The fixed stone altar slab supported on three solid brackets and the encaustic tiles on the floor are also of the original date .
The chapel can, perhaps, be exactly dated by the licence granted in 1331 to John de Broughton "for Divine Service in his oratory at Broughton".
The stained glass East window of 1994 was designed by Alfred Fisher and constructed in his workshop at Chapel Studio, Kings Langley, Herts. The contemporary design incorporates three roundels of early fourteenth century heraldic glass, bearing the arms of the three local landowners, Arden, Mohun and Sutton. Below are the royal arms of Henry VII.
The window serves to commemorate the completion of the 40 year major restoration of the Castle. Another modern stained glass window, also by Alfred Fisher, was instaled in the North window in November 2005, and is shown in the lower right photograph.
The chapel is still used for occasional services.
Photographs © Simon Watts & Martin Fiennes